Today I am going to share with you baby corn in spinach recipe. This gravy made out of spinach with baby corn slit length wise is one of the most nutritious and healthy options for gravy.
It can be eaten with rice, bread and rotis, which is a kind of Indian breads.Since baby corn is low in calories, it can be a great healthy food when on a diet.
The fat content in baby corn is also very low. So this gravy can be enhanced in taste and nutrition by adding a vegetable or two like chunks of carrot or potatoes or you can also sprinkle a few cooked fresh peas into it.
It takes only 10 minutes to prepare for the procedure and the cooking time is about 15 minutes. The preparation of cutting and getting the vegetables ready and slitting the baby corn takes some time.
Required Ingredients for this recipe
Baby spinach – 1 cup
Baby Corn – ½ cup
Onion – 1 pc
Dried or Fresh Fenugreek leaves – dried- 1 tbsp/ fresh – ½ cup
Green chilies: 2pcs
Milk – preferably low fat – ½ cup
Coriander leaves ¼ cup
Oil- 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Water – about ½ cup
Cumin powder or whole cumin- ½ tsp
Coriander Powder – ½ tsp
Asfoetida- ¼ tsp
Turmeric – ¼ tsp
Red chili powder – ¼ tsp
Garlic: about 4 pods
Ginger: about ½ inch pc
Garnishing options: thinly sliced coriander leaves/ a spoonful of thick cream spread on the surface/ or curds
How to prepare for this recipe
- Blanch the spinach, puree it and keep aside
- Blanch baby corn and slit it and keep aside
- Slice the onion and one green chili into very small pieces and keep aside
- Grind garlic, ginger, and one green chili into smooth paste
- Heat oil, and add cumin and asafoetida and wait till it crackles.
- Add the cut onion, green chili and saute it for a few minutes.
- Add the ground paste and saute it for a few minutes.
- Add the remaining spices and keep stirring it for a few minutes.
- Add the fenugreek leaves and add coriander powder. Before adding the coriander powder, saute for a couple of minutes, if it is the fresh variety and if it is the dry variety, saute it just for a minute.
- Then add the pureed spinach and the slit baby corn, salt, the milk and water. If adding vegetables, you can blanch and keep asides along with the corn and spinach and add it along with them now.
- Allow it to boil until desired thickness is got and you have done.
Nutritional values of this recipe
The above recipe contains a high nutritional value as it has both spinach, and baby corn which have high content of nutrients.
One cup of baby spinach is only 7 calories and half cup of baby corn has 65 calories. The calories got from all the other ingredients are insignificant unless cream is added as a garnishing in which case the caloric value of the recipe can go up.
But on the whole it is a highly nutritious recipe with a lot of minerals, vitamins and other nutrients. Enjoy this recipe and let us know through comment section below.